i have another baked oatmeal recipe for you!
this one is a combination of a couple recipes – the pumpkin baked oatmeal i made not too long ago and a new one that i found on a very cute blog called becky bakes. i really liked that the pumpkin baked oatmeal included both steel cut oats and rolled oats so i wanted to incorporate that idea into other baked oatmeal recipes. i found a recipe for blueberry baked oatmeal on becky bakes but i thought it might be nice to add cranberries instead of blueberries since we bought a monstrous bag of fresh cranberries from costco to make cranberry sauce. but since a direct swap of cranberries or blueberries wouldn’t work too well since cranberries are way too tart, i decided to add some apples too.
but one thing that i really liked about becky bakes’ baked oatmeal recipe was that she added a sprinkle of brown sugar on the top of the baked oatmeal. how good does that sound!
but sadly although the brown sugar topping did add a little bit of sweetness, it wasn’t quite enough for the super duper tart cranberries. so i would suggest adding a small squeeze of honey when serving to cut some of the puckerness of the cranberries. still i love that the apples kept some of their crunch and the tart burst of the cranberries is actually pretty refreshing.
although it’s not the prettiest looking breakfast i hope that you try it out!
Apple Cranberry Baked Oatmeal
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 4 cups very hot water
- 4 tbsp. butter, melted
- 2 medium apples (i used granny smith), peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 1/4 cup cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 tbsp. brown sugar, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350˚ F.
- Place the steel cut oats in a large bowl. Pour the hot water over the oats and cover the bowl. Let stand for 20 minutes.
- Pour melted butter into the bottom of a 9 X 13 inch or 2 quart baking dish. Sprinkle chopped apples, cranberries, and 2 tbsp of brown sugar on top of the butter. Set aside.
- After the steel cut oats have finished soaking, stir in the old fashioned oats, applesauce, honey, vanilla, salt, and milk. Mix to combine.
- Pour the oatmeal mixture on top of the apples and cranberries.
- Sprinkle remaining 2 tbsp of brown sugar on top of the oatmeal mixture.
- Baked for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly before serving with additional honey or brown sugar if desired.
Printer Friendly Recipe: Apple Cranberry Baked Oatmeal