last week my friend tammy told me that she made pickles. pickles. i love pickles! she said it was really easy too. amazing. so today i was inspired to make a batch of my own pickles. tammy made dill pickles but chris’ favorite pickles are bread and butter pickles. so i made a some bread and butter pickles instead. this worked out perfectly because a recipe for bread and butter pickles was just posted on brown eyed baker. yay!
well tammy was right, making pickles is delicious and easy! i’m excited to try to make different kinds of pickles, maybe try out tammy’s dill pickle recipe, japanese pickles, kimchi…
Bread and Butter Pickles
slightly adapted from Brown Eyed Baker
- 5½ cups (about 1½ pounds) thinly sliced pickling cucumbers
- 1½ tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoons mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Combine cucumbers and salt in a large, shallow bowl; cover and chill 1½ hours.
- Move cucumbers into a colander and rinse thoroughly under cold water. Drain well, and return cucumbers to bowl.
- Add onion to the bowl and toss with the cucumbers.
- Combine the granulated sugar, white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, mustard seeds, celery seeds and ground turmeric in a medium saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- Pour the hot vinegar mixture over cucumber mixture; let stand at room temperature 1 hour.
- Cover and refrigerate 24 hours.
- Store in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
Printer Friendly Recipe: Bread and Butter Pickles