since getting the kitchen aid, we’ve definitely been ordering pizza less often since now we can just make our own. but i usually just make regular pizza with tomato sauce, turkey pepperoni, etc. so earlier this week i tried to recreate one of our favorite papa john’s pizzas, the bbq chicken and bacon pizza. yum! i used my trusty pizza dough recipe to make some dough and topped the pizza with bbq sauce, mozzarella cheese, caramelized onions, chicken, and bacon. though it didn’t taste exactly like the papa john’s pizza it was a really nice alternative to regular pizza.
we made one bbq chicken and bacon pizza and made another with our usual toppings: tomato sauce, cheese, bacon, onions, and turkey pepperoni.
oh and i’ve adjusted the pizza dough recipe a little bit since i first started using it. i found that it’s much better if you take a little more time to knead the dough and to let it rest/rise for a just a short time as well. also it’s much better to halve the dough and form them into 2 circle pizzas instead of just pressing all the dough onto a sheet pan, like i did the first time. the crust tastes much better this way. enjoy!
BBQ Chicken & Bacon Pizza
adapted from allrecipes.com
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- Your favorite BBQ sauce (we like Bull’s Eye)
- Chicken, cooked and cubed
- Bacon, cooked and chopped
- Caramelized onions
- Mozzarella cheese
- To make crust, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water in stand mixer bowl fitted with the dough hook attachment. Allow yeast to proof for 5 minutes.
- Mix in oil, flour, and salt. Knead for 8-10 minutes.
- Place dough in large greased bowl and allow to rise for 20-25 minutes.
- In the meantime, cook the bacon, chicken, and onions.
- After the dough is done rising, halve into 2 equal pieces. Place one piece of dough on a parchment paper lined sheet pan. Form into a large circle. Roll or fold the edges of the dough under a little bit to form the crust.
- Spread the bbq sauce around pizza dough. Top with cheese, bacon, chicken, and onions.
- Repeat with the other piece of dough.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes.
Printer Friendly Recipe: BBQ Chicken and Bacon Pizza